In the Mists

Forums In the Mists In the Mists

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)
  • January 24, 2015 at 7:02 pm #1050

    We now begin a thread to hopefully lead you all back home.  I really appreciate participation in this over the next few days so we can move the story forward, and hopefully save your asses!  I will lay down my mojo from time to time, and you will make choices and give input. Breaking character to ask the DM questions or to ask to make checks is totally allowed and encouraged.   Please preface such questions with “Dm” so I know you’re talking to me in case it’s not obvious.

    I am including the beginning of the thread here for convenience, it will also be on the site.  Please do not respond here, go the site.  Please participate!  Please put things your character says in italics or quotes of something so we know the difference.

     

     

     

     

     

     

    ———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–

    You find yourselves all in a rough circle, facing one another, but staring downward at the ground.  Barely recognizable around you are the grey empty streets of some back alley ward in Fanlu…only not as brightly lit.  This is the Ethereal plane, a shadowy, half formed place of vast emptiness, wandering spirits, and other potentially dangerous denizens, some of which you have already met.  Ideas race through your minds.  For a long time you stand there in silence, unable to even speak to one another as the fullness of the situation is pondered…You are like ghosts to the world you once knew, how will you return?  Will you starve to death wandering in this grey endlessness?  Is there some way to make someone on the other side notice you and help?  And then, the strangest thought of all maybe, that things like that thought slayer, and those ghosts, and those terrible spiders…that every day this grey otherworldly realm exists, occupied by things that watch silently from the other side…things which now you may very well have to face.  You are in this world now.  Their world.  You even feel lost, ghost like, a sense of hopelessness licking at the edges of your minds…it’s not helping that everything is grey…everything misty or dark.  You can only see about 60ft in any direction before the strangeness of this place distorts your vision to foggy uselessness.

    Silently, a dark form glides through your circle…the blurred image of some town person on the other side, on the side you should be on.  He cannot see you, cannot hear you. through your confounded circle he glides oblivious, as the entire world seems oblivious to your existence now.  He walks right through Obadala Saki and on to a warm life some where else.  The monks eyes grow wide in panic as he breaks the heavy silence.

    “It is that old forbidden magic that landed us here!  We should have never trusted it.  Such magic leads men to doom.  Now we are like ghosts, lost between life and death…”

    and he drops to his knees in a tearful, self sorry prayer, fiercely grabbing at his prayer beads and he mumbles a sobbing sutra

    “Silence!”  Jamba’s voice booms, even echoing through the misty nether.  

    “We are heroes!  Look at how far we have come!  It cannot end like this…In my 39 years I have lived through hell at least 7 times over…by the gods you prey to, and any that will hear me, I will not die in this grey hell!  No more tears.  No more sullen silence.  No more mourning for these ghosts we are.  Everyone think.  Answers!  We need ideas.  Hold nothing back, no matter how absurd, we must try it.  We may have days to work this out…we may have our entire lives in this miserable waste to come up with answers if we don’t find one soon enough, so tell all!  In one of our minds there is a way, at least something to try!!?”

    The big warrior looks at you all, chin up, and expectant, a warriors spirit evident in his proud eyes.

    Begin!

    February 6, 2015 at 7:39 pm #1079

    …A clearly subdued Grey pulls his battered hat from his head and runs one gauntleted hand through his short black hair taking a deep breath closing his eyes, replacing his hat snugly upon his head he pulls the brim low to hide his eyes before speaking;
    “Brothers, Jamba speaks eloquently and to the point. We stand here adrift between worlds, in our favor is that we know where we are, relative to the material plane, we are in Fan Lu. Against us is that we have no direct means to communicate with the material plane, our abilities as mighty as they are cannot pass over the planes. In our favor is the very real fact that nowhere else in this world are these two planes as closely linked than here in Yun Shan where spirits and flesh interact with regularity, meaning that if there is a solution to our current plight we shall find it here if anywhere. Against us is that there are six of us and very little food, food we need to start rationing right now, guess it is a good thing we all ate our fill this morning before we teleported.
    By necessity our time here is limited. Idea’s anyone? Search your minds your, souls even, for anything we can use to our advantage.”

    February 6, 2015 at 10:29 pm #1080

    As I had mentioned before we know the power of the lanterns, you know those that the night watchman carries. Question is yes maybe he can see us but does it allow him to hear up or communicate? Maybe if we can find him we can write a sign? and also how do we find this guy who is always just a shadow of mist himself? Its one idea anyway just dont know where to start.

    February 7, 2015 at 11:40 am #1081

    Jamba locks eyes with Stern, Determined

    “This watchman…he has a magic lantern? He could see us with it’s light?

    February 7, 2015 at 5:43 pm #1082

    As the others discuss options, Hrothgard takes a quiet moment to himself to do the only thing he can think of; ask for help from the spirit world.

    “Great Fang Quiang, Spirit of the Mountain, I know not if you can hear me from here… but if you can, I could use your guidance once more. We are locked between the two worlds you seem to so simply pass from one to the next – the world of the spirits, and the world of man. Can you offer assistance? A sign? Anything…?” Hrothgard sighs. “Can you even hear me…?”

    February 9, 2015 at 9:43 am #1083

    Grognak breaks his silence, any speaks quietly.

    With all of the options available to us, I am not yet concerned. Magic is a tricky business, and not all things are forever. My old master used to travel many planes,an while there was a real danger of getting lost, if you knew where you were, there was always a way back, especially if you are no stranger to the arcane.

    This brings me know to my real fear, as I mentioned, Knowing were you are is most important, Our real danger lies in losing each other! We can not allow ourselves to become separated in the mists! Anything can happen while we are finding the solution to our situation, and one panicked scattering of the group could have us lost to each other , and I am convinced that only together, with our combined skills, will we find that solution.

    Stern has a strong idea with the watchmen.We should discuss our knowledge of those who might have the skills to find us from the other side.
    Grey, What of Void? Does she have the ability to see us here on this plane?

    February 9, 2015 at 9:55 am #1084

    “The house is protected and we could not get close enough to speak with void as she is confined within, she is the spirit of the house after all” The watchmen have a lantern that illuminates the etherial in a small area around it. That is… if its active at the time.”

    Ethereal view

    February 9, 2015 at 12:12 pm #1085

    “Smart Grognak, very smart. My first reaction to our situation was to hurry back to the Manor and ask Void to help us make the transition back but that is not to be. As i realized, and as wise Stern has illuminated you to, that the uniqueness of our situation renders Void unable to assist us.
    Yes, we could make it onto the grounds of Threnody. Yes, we could even make it to the great doors of the Manor, and Yes, Void would be able to see us and communicate with us But she would be unable to directly assist us and the mighty wards would prevent us from entering the Manor.
    Void is the Spirit of Threnody, She holds ultimate sway over her domain and that domain is the Manor and only the Manor. She is unable to pass the threshold to the outside world.”

    Grey pauses letting things sink in for a moment before snapping his head up, eyes blazing, squaring his shoulders. He speaks rapidly and excitedly, gesturing wildly into the distance and starting off as he speaks gesturing for everyone to follow.

    “As uses my brothers with our powers combined we prevail even against seemingly insurmountable obstacles. It was a good idea thinking of Void but that is one spirit that though she would rip the world asunder to help us she simply cannot. There is however a Great and wise Spirit that might help us, Fang Quiang, as Hrothgard has pointed out.
    But as a cricket in a monsoon, we remain unheard by the great spirit due to distance, interference and simple unawareness. So it stands to reason that if we travel closer to his Focus, which exists in both worlds, the likely hood of him becoming aware of us and our plight increases!
    So let us hustle my friends. I, for one, feel more positive in motion than in stillness.”

    February 9, 2015 at 12:35 pm #1086

    Without hesitation, Stern stands in acknowledgement, turns to walk side by side with his brother.

    “You all would do well to keep up as Grognak has pointed out, it is easy to loose sight of one another in this fucked up place.”

    February 9, 2015 at 3:40 pm #1088

    GOOD! You see? there is always a solution…If you know where you are:) Lead the way brothers!!!

    February 9, 2015 at 11:13 pm #1089

    With, purpose, but cautiously, you creep through the grey town. The shadows of people on the other side drift by from time to time, giving you pause. when they come close, you feel a tingle of life and the hairs on your neck raise…you wonder if they feel the same from you. There is no sun to be seen, nothing to navigate by except the twisting streets, and not all of them have a name plate on every corner. It is only by the grace of Grey, basically taking 10 on knowledge local checks, that you find your way. He is convinced you are somewhere in southern Redtown. He leads you west first, snaking down narrow alleys, walking through the shadowy stone of garden walls and cutting through peoples side yards and gardens. The soft metallic glow of watchskulls hung over back doors and on the eves of porches lights your ways as the already grey sky seems to darken. Your travel must be slow and methodical, or else risk getting lost.

    Then at last you emerge from a side alley onto a broad lane. A shadowy horse and rider on the other side gallops by in strange silence, almost making you jump. Now Grey knows he was right, this is Founder’s Way, the main street that cuts across Redtown running north to south. You know exactly where you are in town, and that’s huge. All up and down the broad, cobbled street, copper and silvery colored skulls glow along the eve’s of the 3 and 4 story buildings. The buildings themselves are like shadowy giants lit up with the strange metallic halos of mystical light. More muted glows emanate through the seams of shuddered windows and doors, Outlining some in pale fiery lines. Strange symbols that glow neon blue, the sigils of abjuration spells, invisible from the mortal realm, but ablaze with power when seen from this side of things, are scribed upon some of the doors you see, or on the eves of the homes themselves. This world is a contrast of colorless vagary, and vibrant halos that seem to float in the grey mists.

    Grey stops, that’s it he whispers, the gate out to Trade Way.

    “That gate leads out of Redtown. Just on the other side this road runs into Trade Way. We go left on Trade Way, then about an eighth of a mile down, right before we hit Southtown, a narrow road will split off and lead us south up to the summit of the Sleeping Mountain. I’m sure of where we are, we can move more quickly now”

    Something moves over near the gate, fading into a shadowy hedgerow of junipers across the street and to the left of the gate. Grey, and Grog, you two see it…man sized, that’s all you caught before it drew back out of sight. Then a muffled scream or shout from behind the wall directly to your right, from inside the very house you’re standing next to..what do you do?

    February 10, 2015 at 10:54 am #1090

    Grognak calls out to the others of what he saw, and looks to Grey thinking he must have seen it as well. Confirming his suspicions that Grey saw it as well by the mere look on Grey’s face, Grognak mutters one word to Grey Investigate?! But he already knows the answer.

    February 10, 2015 at 11:17 am #1091

    Stern,Grog go forward wall! Hroth Bren left side wall! Jamba Sake right side wall! Everyone six count then move through the walls! Surround, assess, destroy!
    Move!”

    Grey shouts directly into the minds of his friends as he floats up about ten feet aiming for second floor (roof) Turning his body parallel the ground. Death from above.

    February 10, 2015 at 11:17 am #1092

    Stern spins to action to the area pointed out Grey, looking towards the commotion drawing Sunder and raising shield. Quickly taking note of all he can see readying to tear asunder anything meaning to bring harm to his Friends.

    “It seems they wish to split us up, whatever you do stay close”

    “Hroth stand ready i fear this maybe some fucked up ambush”

    • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Stern.
    February 10, 2015 at 11:23 am #1093

    Agreed! Grognak calls out ready to run as 1st level bait( see Grey’s death from above)ready for the 6 count! Stern! I’m planning on your human shield if this goes bad!

    Hroth…SMASH!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.